Building resilience by investing in integrated ecosystem management plans in the Philippines
One of the trajectories in building resilience for communities in landscapes is by having investments on integrated ecosystem management plans. The attainment of the goal is a long-term process but there are outcomes that provide increments toward resilience. In this session, we highlight the ecosystem-based approach to reduce risk to hazards, show the output of business planning for management plans, and provide an opportunity for learning about river bank restoration and payment for ecosystem services (PES).
The session is planned for 75 minutes and will be composed of 3 parts:
Part 1 (20 minutes) – Ignite session.
It will cover the following topics:
- Introducing trajectory for resilience
- Cost-and-benefit of pilot restoration activities in Agusan River Basin
- Business Canvass for the Climate Change Responsive Agusan River Basin Master Plan
- Business Canvass for Cagayan de Oro River Basin.
Part 2 (35 minutes) – Live and Q/A with an Expert.
This session will highlight the nature-based solutions in Agusan River and Cagayan de Oro River Basins and integrated management of TBM, Coron, Palawan and how the financial tool – Payment for Ecosystem Services (PES) – is promoted to finance these. The talks and speakers will be:
- River bank and slope restoration (6 mins) – Dr. Agustin Mercado, Agroforester, Wetlands International Philippines (Consultant)
- Integrated river basin management and PES (7 mins) – Dr. Hilly A. Roa-Quiaoit, Integrated River Basin Management Advisor, Agusan River Basin, Wetlands International Philippines and Executive Director, Cagayan de Oro River Basin Management Council
- Integrated coastal management and PES (7 mins) – Stan Salcedo (Cordaid / Coron Project Coordinator) and Conie Ann Isabel Canto (CRN Coordinator).
Part 3 (18 minutes) – Poster presentation.
Three posters will be presented to highlight the process of restoration and models of PES:
- Payment for Ecosystem Services Model, Cagayan de Oro River Basin, WP2, Ridge-to-Coast, Rain-to-Tap Project (R2CR2T), Cagayan de Oro River Basin Management Council – Yashimera L. Maape
- Rainforestation, R2CR2T Project, Cagayan de Oro River Basin (6 mins) – Georgia Perrine, Project Manager, R2CRT Project, Hineleban Foundation, Inc.
- Restoration of ecosystem services in Coron, Palawan – Stan Salcedo (Cordaid / Coron Project Coordinator) and Conie Ann Isabel Canto (CRN Coordinator)
- Hosted by Dr. Annadel S. Cabanban, Project Manager for PfR 2016-2020, Head of Office for Wetlands International Philippines
- Dr. Agustin Mercado, Agroforester, Wetlands International Philippines (Consultant)
- Dr. Hilly A. Roa-Quiaoit, Integrated River Basin Management Advisor for Agusan River Basin, Wetlands International Philippines and Executive Director
- Ms. Aljoy Alaba
- Ms. Yashimera L. Maape
- Ms. Georgia Perrine, Project Manager, R2CRT Project, Hineleban Foundation, Inc.
- Mr. Stan Salcedo, Cordaid / Coron Project Coordinator
- Ms. Conie Ann Isabel Canto, CRN Coordinator
Time Slot: 11:30 - 12:45 CET
- Dialogue and Dissent Strengthening the capacity of civil society to engage in dialogues with stakeholders for improved disaster risk reduction policies, practices, and investments.
- Up-scaling Eco-DRR Increasing communities resilience and reducing disaster risks through ecosystem-based solutions.