Partners for Resilience in Mali targets vulnerable rural populations in Niger, Sourou and Senegal basins in the Sahelian zone. These people are farmers, pastoralists and fishermen who are among the most vulnerable communities in Mali and who are often hit hardest by floods and droughts. Floods and droughts are increasing in frequency and magnitude and therefore pose a growing threat to Mali's economic development and the wellbeing and livelihoods of it’s people. Climate change and environmental degradation have been identified as the main causes of increased disaster risks.
The programme: Dialogue and Dissent
The overall goal of the programme is to strengthen the resilience of vulnerable fishermen, pastoralists and farmers living in the wetlands of the Niger, Sourou and Senegal basins. PfR Mali mainly focuses on dialogues with a wide variety of stakeholders in order to build awareness and ensure adequate measures that result in reducing the vulnerability of communities to disaster risks.
The programme has three main objectives:
- Build awareness and promote equitable management of water resources that safeguard vulnerable groups.
- Contribute to the development of local policies and mechanisms that secure access to land for vulnerable groups and strategic spaces in times of drought and flood crisis.
- Improve the National Strategy for Risk Reduction and Disaster Reduction through the incorporation of Integrated Risk Management.
Examples of the activities and achievements in Mali:
Prévention et résolution des conflits in Mali
Gestion intégrée des risques in Mali
Promotion du genre in Mali
Achievements in advocacy capacity strengthening
Presentation capacity strengthening on unions and coalitions
Training Manual for Coalitions
Manual for integration of IRM in local development plans
Introduction to IRM
Press release to presidents of African Union countries
Together we can !
- Dialogue and Dissent Strengthening the capacity of civil society to engage in dialogues with stakeholders for improved disaster risk reduction policies, practices, and investments.
- Up-scaling Eco-DRR Increasing communities resilience and reducing disaster risks through ecosystem-based solutions.